Individual Support

Do you need help?

Sometimes young people need someone to talk to in a confidential way. It could be about something that is bothering you. Or it could be that you find it hard to talk to your friends or family about something.

Other times young people might need some practical assistance when times seem hard. It could be for example when you finish up at school, have problems at home or perhaps you might need help with getting Centrelink payments or finding a place to live.

If you are 12 – 25 years old and live, work or have a strong connection to Carlton or Parkville then we can try to help. Please visit our Individual Support @ the drum page for more detail on what this looks like.

Sometimes young people don’t know what to expect with individual support or counselling. Or sometimes they are reluctant about seeking help. We try to make this as easy and as positive experience as we can.

Our team are from diverse backgrounds (like the communities we work with) and are passionate about providing affirmative experiences no matter what is happening for a young person. They will provide a private space, give young people the time and a place to talk through what is happening or not going so well and enable them to come up with solutions.

Referrals for individual support

You can reach out for support by making contact with us via phone, email, facebook- click here for our contact details.

Other people can make referrals for a young person for individual support. To make a referral, please complete the referral form and email it to the drum. You can access the referral form here.

Young people often access support when experiencing any one or more of these things:

  • Feeling stressed out
  • Feeling sad, angry or overwhelmed
  • Being worried about friendships & relationships
  • Confusion about sexuality & sexual health
  • Conflict in the family or home
  • Family violence
  • Being concerned about or having issues at school, TAFE or uni
  • Confusion about education & employment next steps
  • Feeling lonely & isolated
  • Bullying at school, work or online
  • Worried about body image
  • Want to learn more about impacts of drugs and alcohol
  • Finding somewhere to live
  • Needing legal advice for things like fines and court appearances
  • Financial issues like scholarships, bills and other debts
  • Want to connect with a youth friendly doctor or other medical practitioner


The information that a young person shares with  the drum staff member is private and confidential unless:

  • You are being hurt by others
  • You are hurting yourself
  • You are hurting someone else

If your worker is worried about your safety, they will always talk with you before contacting others.

Please head over to the drummond street website ( if you need further assistance.

Help Online

Helping Out Map

The City of Melbourne’s Helping Out booklet and map provide a comprehensive list of free and low-cost services available from organisations in the central city and surrounding suburbs.

Ask Izzy

Ask Izzy helps people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless to find the services they need, right now and nearby.

Kids Helpline
A counselling service for Australian children and young people aged between 5 and 25 years.

A confidential, free and secure space where young and family can chat with a qualified youth mental health professional

Reach Out 
Australia’s leading online youth mental health service, where you can get the help you need, where and when you need it.

Youth Beyondblue
Australian organisation provides information about depression to consumers, carers and health professionals.

A self-help interactive program with modules on youth mental health

Centre for Multicultural Youth
Help and support for young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds

An Australian youth service with questions and answers on youth mental health

It’s All Right
Helping Young People deal with mental illness in the family

Bite Back
An evolving space for you to discover ways to amplify the good stuff in life.

Young Carers
Help and support for young people who are carers for family members.

The MoodGYM
Learn cognitive behaviour therapy skills for preventing and coping with depression


Providing a peer based, volunteer run support service for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI)people and their friends, families and allies there is a web and telephone counselling service as well as information and referral service Qlife.


Australia’s largest youth-led network for gay, bi, lesbian and trans teens.


A peer led social support and advocacy group for trans/gender diverse young people

Youth Central

The State Government hosted go to space with info specific for young people on study, health, jobs, housing, your rights

Youth Law

Free legal advice for young people under 25. They have info online, have drop in clinics and can provide email and phone advice.

Commissioner for Children and Young People

Independent of Government, the Victorian Commissioner for Children and Young people and Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young people promote improvement in policies and practices that effect the safety and wellbeing of children and young people. They can investigate individual complains and systemic issues for young people.

Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission

An independent agency with responsibilities under three laws to protect all Victorians from discrimination and human rights breaches. This includes the Equal Opportunity Act (2010), The Racial and Religious Tolerance Act (2001) and The Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities (2006).